Tuesday, April 11, 2006

John

Today my mentor and role model John Obara was killed. Other than being married to a doctor, he actually had nothing to do with medicine (though his wife would later take me under her wing to help me become a physician). John was my mentor for life in this world, and he gave me an idea of the man I wanted to someday become. He spent countless hours teaching me many valuable skills, and both directly and indirectly taught me so many lessons about life and living it. John gave me a great deal of faith in the world and in people through his kindness. He was absolutely incredible. Beside my mother, he was the greatest influence on my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

John Obara was a role model to me as well. We do not know each other, but I am sure he touched many people's lives. It is not be possible for all of us to express it to his freinds and family. I was a student of his at USF. He inspired such a love of engineering and life in general. Words cannot express the loss other students and I felt upon recieving the news.

I went to the service today. However, having never met his family and not knowing who I should be telling this to I left without letting them know how great of a professor and person he was. Please let them know that although several of his students graduated and have been out of USF for years, we still look to him as a role model and source of inspiration, and always will.

Thank you,
Kathleen Kaminskas
fhorn813@hotmail.com