Monday, January 09, 2006

Burnout

I'm at a very severe and troubling time of my life. For once, I'm not depressed-although I may be and just not know it.

I'm frustrated at my life, my current state that is. I feel choked by my position, and would rather not be where I am-Kirksville, medical school-here. I don't know where/who I'd rather be. All I know is that I am suffering total and debilitating burnout, on a scale I should only experience after several years of practice.

It is shortly after the new year. I returned to Kirksville less than a week ago. Since that time I've spent maybe two to four hours in class, and would be suprised if I could offer much more than that this week. I am exacerbatingly broke, the school out of money to offer me. I am frustrated by the potential career of medicine, and feel suffocated by the prospect of further medical education.

I have nothing I am passionate about right now, and seek solace in fleeting activities: stop-gaps in the hours of coscienceness and not. I'm overweight, in constant pain, and suffer from an always-present sense of fatigue. I can never get enough sleep, and would attempt to sleep away my life it it could be held. It all sounds like depression, yet I am mentally acute, enjoy time with my friends, simple activities, reading, meditation, my animals, movies, all of it. I simply no longer wish to become a physician, no longer have the strength to help. I thought about the practice of medicine today and became immediately nauseous.

I believe I am simply sick of it all, and the mere thought of an attempt ant organization exhausts me.

The question now is, what to do? I will ride it out, as long as I can afford to, and see if my passion returns. But for now I can honestly say that if things don't change in the near future, I will leave this path for good.

1 comment:

Andy said...

chin up. as the culture of medicine changes, I think many in our generation are becoming increasingly disenchanted. don't forget that you can always count on your friends when you become overwhelmed just as others look to you when they feel smothered by the burden of our career.