Sunday, January 01, 2006

Of Course, the New Years Post

"The great renewal of the world will perhaps consist in this, that man and maid, freed of all false feelings and reluctances, will seek each other not as opposites, but as brother and sister, as neighbors, and will come together as human beings."
-Rainer Maria Rilke

So we've had a chance to finish that one, and begin this other. The year is over, and my impressions of it are mixed, but clear.

Firstly, 2005 was a hard year. The pursuit of my medical education, and struggles with my personal demons was, as expected, a task for me. For my friends it was a time of change and burden, yet I think hardly a year goes by where this is not the case.

However, 2005 was an absolutely amazing year, and where to start? With the most important, of course.

Ivy McCord Simpson was born. Ivy is easily one of the most important things in my life, and I loved her the instant I saw her. And I love her parents for their unconditional loyalty, support, and friendship, and for bringing her into this world.

Travel. My body physically moved further than it ever has in my entire life. I spent nearly three days in the air, and I saw amazing places, not counting the thousands of miles driven. The experience in South Africa, goes without saying as a life-altering experience for the better. It was my first independent, real experience as a doctor, and my first time leaving North America. France was France, but most importantly, I got to meet my hero, Lance Armstrong. And I had tears in my eyes at the incredible beauty of the work in the Van Gogh museum in the Netherlands.

My friends. I've already mentioned Pat and Amy, but there are a load of people in my life who are so incredibly important to me. You know who you are, and I am humbled by you.

My professional development. I'm shocked by how much I've learned this year, and at the quality of my education at the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine. I'm so incredibly greatful for this wonderful gift of osteopathy that I am learning. From being able to use my hands to make real changes in peoples lives, to growing as a caring and competent physician, I am so lucky to be learning what I am, and at who I get to become.

For everything else. Life is an incredible ride. It's short, it can be harsh, and it can be beautiful. It is the experience you make of it, and what it makes of you. I've never once asked 'what is the meaning of life?', and I doubt I ever will. It just is, and we just are. I think it's worth it.

I wish you all a truly happy new year, and congratulate you on the one now completed.

No comments: